Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Reconciliation with everything on it

I had lunch today with a fairly new friend. He's a great guy who has chosen to live in the inner city and fight for reconciliation in this city and in the lives of troubled teens. I simply wanted to get to know this guy a bit better and as a foodie I always think that there is no better way than to break bead with another. When attempting to decide our culinary destination I asked if he had any particular craving and He mentioned Roxie's Grocery, I obliged, and we set out. He had told me that it kind of a secret and to me that translates into a great hole-in-the-wall place that never disappoints.

Roxie's is definitely a place thats holds true to this assumption. When we walked into the establishment The lighting was very dimly lit and there wasn't much organization. Some of the coolers didn't work and the others didn't work that well. Items for sale behind the counter had been in the same spot for months or possibly years. It was a classic old tyme grocery. I loved it. We got the Roxie special which is a burger, seasoned fries, and a "pop". The crinkle cut fries were cooked a bit too much, but hey, that happens to the best of them. The drink was Strawberry Fanta or "red drank" to some. The burger however was fantastic. we ordered them with everything (which is lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion, ketchup, mustard, and mayo). It was seasoned quite well with plenty of pepper in the mix. Some would find this to be a bit much, but for me it was right on spot. The bun was toasted with butter on the griddle which always adds the perfect amount of crunch to the sandwich. The burger was big and hearty. It was incredible to say the least and the price the same; right under 11.50 for both of us. you can't beat that anywhere in town.

The thing that kind of took me by surprise was the fellow patrons/loiterers at Roxie's. We were the only ones of caucasian ethnicity and I assumed that we may get a few looks from our fellow dinners. But everyone was extremely nice they greeted us and told where to find the waste basket and napkins. The thing that really blew me away happened when our napkins flew down the sidewalk. A guy who was sitting in a chair got up and retrieved us fresh napkins and said "though you want some clean ones". I was slightly blown away.

How many people would do that for anyone of any color in a Wendy's in east memphis?

I believe that it is small things like this along with things like moving back into urban neighborhoods that will bring reconciliation to racially divided city like Memphis.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm...

    "Servanthood is a lifestyle," Richard Foster spoke to me this morning. A life of servanthood calls us back to the mundane, the ordinary ways we serve each other... like noticing that you need some clean napkins and getting up to get some new ones, just because you noticed.

    thanks for sharing your Roxie's experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps, you've got it set where only Google account holders can comment. I thought you'd probably want anyone to be able to comment, so let me know if you want me to show you how to change it! love- awp

    ReplyDelete