Thursday, February 26, 2009

Had too...

I thought when I started this blog i wouldn't slam any establishments. And I guess that I am not really slamming a restaurant here, just one item. Before I go any further I must say that I am a big fan of Blue Coast Burritos. I love the different flavor tortillas they have the chipotle honey mustard is fantastic. I love that they steam they tortillas instead of pressing them, it holds together better. Most places don't have extras like olives, cucumbers, and even a choice between regular or spicy chicken. Another thing that most places don't have is fish tacos... there's good reason for that. It is hard to have a good fish taco dish.
In my opinion the ideal fish taco would have smoky grilled fish of some sort, maybe tilapia or redfish. But a frozen, fried, cod is the first ingredient of a recipe for a tasteless entree. I have to admit I kind of cringed when I saw the guy throw the fish into the fryer. I thought about telling him to scratch that order, but the fish was already down and if there is one thing that I don't like more than a poorly thought dish it is wasting food. So, i decided to forego my better judgement and give a shot. I convinced myself in a mere matter of seconds that I could try them and put to rest my wondering of whether the Blue Coast fish tacos were worth the time.
When my meal had come i was really ready to eat because everyone else was about half way through their meal. I unwrapped the first taco and bit into only to be disgusted by mayonnaise, my personally nemesis in the food world, The line cook sold it to me as "baja sauce", but all my taste buds could pick out was mayo. I also felt that the dish was lacking ingredients all it came with was cabbage, a bit of tomatillo salsa, and the mayo-baja sauce. I had to put more salsa, mainly to cover up the mayo and I would have loved to had some pico de gallo on it which i feel like is an integral part of fish tacos.
You can guess by my previous words and descriptions what my conclusion will be, but I will say just to confirm it, the fish tacos at Blue Coast are not worth the money or the time. Stick with a burrito or a salad which are both excellent dishes by the way. If you like honey mustard you really should give theirs a try, it's awesome.
I am going to Mexico this summer and I am told we will have the best fish tacos during the trip, so I'll be sure to write a blog about them after the trip. Till then happy hunting for food that inspires you...

No comments:

Post a Comment